Thursday, June 16, 2005

The Curry House, Little Tokyo, Los Angeles, California

The Curry House
123 S. Onizuka St. #204
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 620-0855

Google Maps

If you love Japanese Curry, or Curry at all you have to check this place out. This has been one of my favorite restaurants in Los Angeles for many many years. My friend Ashanti brought me here while I was going to USC, and I have been going ever since. The place is almost always packed, and the food is always good (if a little fattening).




Park in the structure on Second Street, and get it validated so you don't have to pay for parking, and then either go up the stairs to the second floor, or take one of the elevators. The service is great, always quickly refilling your ice tea, whatever you are drinking, unless they are really busy. I always hear that they rush people out, but I have never had that problem, maybe because I have been going for ages now.

Now I always get the same thing, Chicken Katsu Curry Extra hot with Rice, a Miso Soup and an ice tea (unless it is there really late, then it is water or lemonade). And make sure you put some hot oil on the curry, as it doesn't quite make it spicy, but it does add to the flavor for sure. And it includes a little side salad, though I liked the old french dressing that they used instead of the new Asian dressing. Still good, but not as good. Sure the deep fried Chicken cannot be too good for you, but damn if it isn't tasty. The Miso Soup is very tasty, though they have replaced the seaweed with spinach which is healthy, but not quite as tasty as the seaweed in the miso. Still good though.


ChickenKatsu.jpg

The Chicken Katsu Curry.


MisoSoup.jpg

The Miso Soup.

••••

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Los Angeles.

I have only been to one of the other versions, and while it was good, it was not as good, the Little Tokyo Branch is the best of the best!

I was turned onto this place by my friend Ashanti Luke, and also used to go with my former old friend Maggie Lee. I have been going to this place since probably 1993 or 1994.

••••

Still love the Curry House, though don't get to go very often. I do go every year on my birthday though! And they have changed it up and their spicy has gotten much spicier and extra hot is in fact very hot and costs ¢25 extra, but is very worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment