Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Border Grill, Gourment Mexican Restaurant, Santa Monica, California

Border Grill
1445 4th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90401

(310) 451-1655

GOOGLE MAP

The same 2 chef's as Cuidad, this was their earlier restaurant. Excellent gourmet Mexican food with great ingredients and very little oil, and excellent margaritas. Well trying out if you are down at the 3rd Street Promenade, but expect a wait if it is the weekend.






My father and I had 2 orders of Herradura Resposada Shakers of specialty Margaritas, which are served in a shaker and in 2 Martini glasses. Amazingly tasty though a tad on the small side for $20 for 2 glasses worth. Still well worth trying. I think the cointreau really makes a difference, as well as the good tequilas.

We got a Wild Mushroom Quesadilla, just dripping with cheese, and with big sizes of guacamole and sour cream and a watercress salad. Pretty tasty.

For dinner I had the excellent Carne Asada Tacos with grilled steak, Carmelzied onion, salsa fresca and guacamole served with red and green rice, and home cooked beans with the tacos in handmade corn tortillas. Absolutely delicious, and very light for tacos.

My father had Chicken Chilaquiles, which is Mexican style casserole layered with handmade corn tortillas, shredded chicken, tomatillo salsa, manchego, panela and cotija cheeses. I didn't try it, but it looked great, and my dad was impressed.

My only complaint is that the salsa with the chips was tasty, but not hot enough for my tastes!

Still this place is excellent, and high class mexican food. Certainly worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment